The five new Commissioners newly appointed in accordance with the Law of the National Human Rights Commission of Mongolia took an oath before the Constitution of Mongolia on 28 December 2020.
It is required that Commissioners to be Mongolian citizens of high legal qualification, with appropriate experience in human rights, and as having reached the age 35. A single term of office for Commissioners shall be 6 (six) years .
The Commissioners shall exercise the following powers:
- To conduct inquiries at his/her own initiative on the basis of information with regard to violations of human rights and freedoms or at the request of business entities, organisations or officials;
- To deliver demands/recommendations to organizations or officials to stop activities which violate human rights and freedoms, or which create conditions for such violations;
- To obtain or make copies of the necessary official documents, information from state organisations and/or officials for the purposes of human rights research and get to get acquainted with them on the spot;
- To take explanations in writing and orally from the Complainant and relevant business entities, organisations, officials or individual persons; and;
- To have unrestricted access to any business entity or organisation and to access the confidential data/secrets of the State, organisation or individual person in accordance with procedure established by the relevant law;
Business entities, organisations or officials are obliged to undertake relevant measures as provided under Commissioners’ demands and/or recommendations.