National Human Rights Commission of Mongolia has released its 6th strategic plan for the purpose of ensuring the implementation, promotion, and protection of human rights of every person in Mongolia at the guidance within the Constitution, the Law on the National Human Rights Commission, and other laws of Mongolia and international treaties. 2015-2020 Strategic Plan of the Commission aims at making effective contribution to development, implementation, and oversight of the state policy and legislation based on human rights, strengthening national system of public human rights education, and ensuring sustainable development of the national human rights institution and is an important planning document to implement the functions of the Commission that are given to it through laws. The goals and objectives set in this strategic plan shall be implemented based on cooperation and partnership with the government, general public, private sector, international organizations, and media.
To ensure human rights of every person are respected as guaranteed and universal human rights culture is promoted.
Human rights for every person every place and every time.
We will fulfill our mandate to oversee the implementation of and protection and promotion of human rights and freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution and other laws of Mongolia and international treaties Mongolia is a party to, by:
· Taking the guidance of international human rights norms;
· Promoting the individual’s awareness to require their rights and to fulfill their duties;
· Ensuring active and voluntary public participation;
· Building up equal opportunity free from discrimination; and;
· Taking leadership in developing a society that upholds human rights and freedoms.
Four. PRINCIPLES THAT WE ABIDE IN ACHIEVING OUR REALSING OUR STRATEGIC PLAN
· Ensuring the protection of human rights and freedoms and rule of law;
· Sticking to the independent status;
· Being accountable;
· Being transparent and public;
· Being rooted on pluralistic partnership and participation of general public;
· Strengthening capacity of the Commission to implement its policy and strategy and structural leadership and professionalism.
Five. STRATEGIC PRIORITY
We will give higher priority in ensuring the implementation of civil, political, economic, social, and cultural rights to the following target groups.
- Persons with disabilities;
- Livestock herders;
- National minority;
- Sexual minority; and;
- Persons deprived of their liberty
Six. PLANNING, REPORTING, AND ASSESSING OUTCOME
National Human Rights Commission of Mongolia plans to implement its 6th strategic plan through two phases for 6 years. First phase will cover the period from 2015 to 2017, second phase will last from 2018 to 2020. Goals in this strategic plan are to be included and implemented within the annual plan of the Commission and its budget statement and other projects and programmes. General management of the National Human Rights Commission shall be borne by the Director of the Secretariat, and implementation process is to be assessed through two phases including monitoring, assessment, and reporting of the achievements and results.
Seven. STRATEGIC GOALS, OBJECTIVES, AND EXPECTED OUTCOMES
STRATEGIC GOAL 1. STRENGTHEN HUMAN RIGHTS BASED LEGISLATION AND STATE POLICY
Objective 1.1. Undertake pluralistic activities to harmonise state policy and legislation with the human rights principles;
Objective 1.2. Conduct advocacy and promotional activities to ensure the implementation of legislation;
Objective 1.3. Ensure the advancement of the implementation of the recommendations of the United Nations treaty bodies and inclusion of the stakeholders in the reporting;
EXPECTED OUTCOME FROM STRATEGIC GOAL 1:
- Improved national legal provisions to respect, promote, and protect human rights.
- Human rights based approach shaped in the activity guidance of government organizations in planning and implementing national development policy and assessing its results.
- Improved public awareness on the implementation of human rights treaties and increased cooperation with local administrative bodies.
STRATEGIC GOAL 2. UNDERTAKE ACTIVITIES TO IMPROVE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS PROTECTION SYSTEM
Objective 2.1. Oversee the implementation of legislation and policy that aims at fulfilling human rights and undertake the measures that are specified in laws;
Objective 2.2. Further improve accessibility and efficiency of activities of the Commission to receive and handle complaints;
Objective 2.3. Take measures to prevent and eliminate human rights violations and to shape human rights based approach by conducting inquiry and monitoring in the activities of business entities;
Objective 2.4. Make contribution to creation of legislation and policy through which the state pay the compensation in advance for the damages that were caused due to wrong actions of government organizations and officials and in case of violation of the right to life due to crimes;
Objective 2.5. Undertake advocacy activities through which the Commission shall conduct the functions of independent and autonomous national mechanism to prevent torture under the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture;
EXPECTED OUTCOME FROM STRATEGIC GOAL 2:
- Improved implementation of the legislation and policy that aim at protect human rights and freedoms and improved realization and outcome of the proposals, recommendations, and demands of the Commission.
- Increased accessibility and improved efficiency of the quality and accessibility of the Commission’s complaint handling activities.
- Effective actions and strengthened capacity and activities of the Commission to conduct the functions of the national preventive mechanism against torture.
STRATEGIC GOAL 3. STRENGTHEN THE NATIONAL SYSTEM OF PUBLIC HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION
Objective 3.1. Raise public awareness on human rights and make contribution to the shaping of human rights culture;
Objective 3.2. Support activities of human rights education in all stages of formal education system;
Objective 3.3. Raise awareness and improve capacity of persons of target groups to enjoy their rights effectively and assuredly;
Objective 3.4. Advocate making policy and decisions to support human rights education;
Objective 3.5. Strengthen training base of supporting the promotion of human rights education.
EXPECTED OUTCOME FROM STRATEGIC GOAL 3
- Raised public awareness on human rights and improved capacity to demand to remedy their violated rights in lawful and non-violent ways.
- Empowered target groups who can recognize, demand, and restore rights of themselves and others.
- Achievements made in activities of human rights education in the educational system and national human rights education action plan adopted.
STRATEGIC GOAL 4. ENSURE THE CONTINUOUS DEVELOPEMTN OF THE ACCREDITED NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS INSTITUTION
Objective 4.1. Improve the oversight of human rights implementation, its planning, implementation, and outcome of its performance;
Objective 4.2. Strengthen the local capacity and improve the impelentation of the rights of human rights defenders by increasing accessibility and range of the activities to protect human rights;
Objective 4.3. integrate the funding that is required to implement the functions of the promotion and protection of human rights within the state budget and make the planning, spending, and reporting of the budget funding transparent within the scope of the relevant laws;
Objective 4.4. Cooperate with the state, civil society, media, and businesses by promoting their initiatives and cooperation and participation of citizens in implementation of policies and decisions to solve urgent issues on human rights and freedoms;
Objective 4.5. Strengthen stable, responsible, professional, and skillful management, organization, leadership, and human resources and effectively implement the programme to ensure their social guarantee;
Objective 4.6. Hold active position in the globalization process and continuously develop pluralistic cooperation with the United Nations and regional foreign and domestic organisations;
Objective 4.7. Keep the Institution free from corruption and hold active position in involve organizations, business entities, and authorities in awareness raising activities against corruption.
EXPECTED OUTCOME FROM STRATEGIC GOAL 4
- Strengthened capacity the Commission to conduct its functions specified in its law and achievement in its sustainable development.
- Improved accessibility and productivity of the Commission through development of its capacity and pluralistic cooperation.
- Improved implementation of the rights of human rights defenders through increased all round participation, initiatives, and support in the activities of promotion and protection of human rights.
- Undertaken advocacy for and effective contribution to the creation of national business and human rights action plan.